Monday, February 25, 2008

PunkinDoodleBoo Updates

As many of you know, EBAY is cuurently instituting some policy and fee changes. Some will be effective this month and others will be implemented in May. As a result, many sellers are boycotting Ebay from February 18th to the 25th. As a matter of principle, and to fully support those who will be most affected, I have decided to abide by the strike. Call it the liberal in me :) (sorry Daddy!). Currently, I am very pleased with my experiences on Ebay. I have been selling my wares on Ebay on and off since 1999 and I, like many artists I know, have decided to take it all as it comes and hope everything will work out to a satisfactory conclusion. However, in the event that the Ebay selling environment becomes too difficult to navigate, I shall sell exclusively on ETSY. I am currently looking into other auction sites on the web, so in the unlikely event that I do leave Ebay, I will be certain to keep all of you up to date about where I land. SO, if you are interested in joining my mailing list now would be a great time to do so :)!

1 comment:

elphabainwicked said...

I believe eBay needs to understand that the cost to list items that are not mass produced should be evaluated.

I stopped selling normal items on eBay because the listings costs were far exceeding my sales. I have been on there since 2001 and have a high number of positive transactions but as I have told them many times, I would make out better selling it less at a yard sale and still make a profit and spend less time than selling it through them.

I am so pleased since October of finding Etsy. It allows me to buy from artist who can make a true profit on their art and not lose a bulk of the profit to the selling fees.

I only use eBay for the artist like you and others that link through the websites and that is the only place they list their art.

I guess I also like that I am going to get the piece of art on Etsy without having to worry about being outbid. I think if an artist chooses to sell their art at a listed price on Esty and a person really wants that piece of art, they will pay the price being asked for it. I am one of those collectors.

I also am not afraid to tell an artist their prices are too low. Yes, I would benefit from the lower price, but that is not the point of buying from the original artist. I am buying unique, which to me, is worth more.

Remember, you(we) are all "starving artist" wanting to make it big someday, but until then, the collectors/non-collectors who do buy it, (me), get to appreciate the art each time we see it. To me, that is the highest value anyone can put on a piece of art!

I wish all the artist success with this boycott and really hope it makes an impact and opens eBay's eyes.

Okay, that was a long winded opinion but as a collector of art from many artist on Etsy and eBay, I like you all to know that I appreciate the hard work you put into every piece you create.